This position is responsible for the administration of the organization’s payroll and time & attendance systems. The Payroll Administrator is responsible for the timely and accurate delivery of payroll and related client service, including recordkeeping and reporting. This person collaborates with HR staff and Finance staff to support and achieve Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco’s strategic goals. The Payroll Administrator meets professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules and attending and actively participating in meetings. This position provides training to managers and staff on the payroll and time and attendance system, and provides accounting and project management support to Finance.
KEY ROLES (ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES):
Payroll Processing & Time and Attendance - 50%
- Perform all activities necessary to process payroll and maintain accurate payroll records and reports; ensure data integrity for all aspects of timekeeping and payroll; enter hours and special pay calculations or deductions; process manual and final checks.
- Prepare and maintain all reports within payroll and HRIS system; process fiscal and year-end reports and reconcile with W-2 information for accuracy. Document any discrepancies in payroll processing to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments.
- Process wage garnishments, pay levies and other involuntary court-ordered payments in a timely manner, including reporting to the necessary State office or jurisdiction and assisting staff with general process questions.
- Assist staff with general questions related to payroll, time off accruals, wage deductions, fringe benefits, and other pay related issues. Research and resolve problems while providing excellent customer service.
- Work with current pay vendor (Paylocity) for technical issues with payroll and time-reporting systems.
- Perform filing and and upkeep of employee payroll records.
- Maintain updated procedure manual for payroll processing and assists in training of managers and other staff on the payroll system in a "super-user" role, to troubleshoot general user questions or basic technical issues.
- Keep abreast of current payroll tax requirements and relevant laws associated with the process of staff wage data, including payroll taxes, employee federal and state income and social security taxes, taxation on international employees, and other required reporting (SUI, workers compensation, deferred benefits, etc.)
On Boarding, Terminations and Benefits - 30%
- Process New Hire Onboarding electronic paperwork by entering the following employee information: Salary, benefit class, PTO accrual, department coding, employee type, I-9, various tracking and compliance data.
- Add new hires to manager’s access of direct reports in time & attendance system
- Complete audit checks on all information to ensure 100% accuracy in the Employee Onboarding process.
- Handle paperwork and processes for new hires, terminations, leaves of absence, benefits deductions, etc.
- File relevant employee paperwork in HR files or binders as required
- Set up new hires on 401(k) provider system within one week of start date and enter termination dates for inactive employees.
- Handle payments and reconciliationof key benefits including payments to health insurance vendors and other benefits, 401K fees, and quarterly calculations and upload of Healthy SF contributions.
- Ensure that proper health insurance deductions flow over from benefits to payroll system; ensure that 401(k) salary deductions are entered timely and that contributions are uploaded to 401(k) vendor immediately after each payroll run.
- Maintain Commuter Check Direct transit and parking benefits
Finance Support- 10%
- Provide support to Finance staff with regards to payroll
- Conduct regular payroll reporting as required and assist with financial audits related to pay records and associated general ledger.
- Balance and reconcile GL payroll accounts including cost center allocations and payroll-related accruals, including benefits
- Understand and maintain payroll general ledger entries from payroll side
- Assist with quarterly reconciliation of payroll records, general ledger and tax reports for Fund EZ financial system.
- Reconciliation of 941s and DE 6s to payroll registers
- Develop and manage complex spreadsheets with updating; maintain and improve HRIS system
- Produce management reports using the report writer feature in Paylocity (i.e., Overtime/Over Budget Reports).
- Prepare special reports as needed
- BA or BS degree in business, accounting or related field or an equivalent combination of related education and work experience.
- 2+ years of full cycle payroll experience
- Must be a self-starter and able to accomplish expected tasks under minimal supervision; ability to multitask and maintain composure under pressure.
- Knowledge of accounting and filing procedures/practices, modern office methods and related equipment
- Strong understanding of current regulations and laws applicable to payroll, human resources; payroll certification a plus.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with proven understanding of payroll systems.
- Experience working in a complex, challenging non-profit environment a plus.
- Must have the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact; excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills; cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work with diverse people groups
- Outstanding attention to detail in data entry and administrative tasks.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to lift 15 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for at least 1 hour
- Must be able to sit at computer workstation for long time periods
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Type or Copy/Paste Requirements here