Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco (BGCSF) will be running an on-site, school day program for Gateway Middle School (GMS) for the 2017-18 academic year. Through this partnership, BGCSF will provide critical programs and services to achieve the following goals: Enhance Student Support- Access and Opportunities; Improve School Connection - Engagement & Development, and Provide Faculty Support - Increased Academic Time for Teachers. The Program Leader will also encourage active membership by GMS students at the Don Fisher Clubhouse after school, to meet GMS’s desire to see students connect to strong after-school programs in the community.
Gateway Middle School is located in the Western Addition on Golden Gate Avenue and serves a diverse population of San Francisco low-income youth.
Under the direct supervision of a full-time Site Director, the Program Leader will be running or supporting programs on campus that engage youth in both large and small group activities. The Program Leader will also facilitate the delivery of school-day programs one day each week at the Don Fisher Clubhouse. These programs will be run in partnership with Don Fisher Clubhouse staff and last between 6 and 10 weeks. The Program Leader will work 10 hours/week for the duration of the school year.
KEY ROLES (ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES):
Direct Service - 95%
- Work directly with students Monday through Friday for approximately two hours daily around lunch time.
- Coordinate and provide school-day programming for GMS students, with a focus on Advisory Clubs, lunch time programming, and mentorship of Club Scholars
- Advisory Clubs - Provide support to students (and teachers) who are on one of the approximately 15 Advisory Clubs on campus.
- Lunch time programming - engaging youth in prosocial activities that are safe, well-supervised, and engaging; including programs to promote and incentivize positive member behavior/contributions.
- Implement and support all BGCSF and GMS policies and procedures to ensure a safe and positive environment for youth.
Administrative Duties - 5%
- Ensure accurate account of all GMS students participating in BGCSF programs
- Attend all meetings, conferences and training as required;
- Promote and publicize BGCSF programs at GMS and at the Don Fisher Clubhouse.
- Maintain a positive professional relationship with school staff and families.
- At all times maintain a professional appearance and manner reflective of the high standards of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco and Gateway Schools.
SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- One of the following:
- An AA degree or higher
- Official transcripts reflecting 48 college units and a high school diploma/equivalent
- Completion of CBEST and a high school diploma/equivalent
- Experience working with middle school-age youth (or 4th-10th grade age youth) in a school or youth development setting
- The ability to create strong relationships with youth in a short period of time
- The ability to effectively deliver a youth development program curriculum.
- An interest in a variety of youth programs including STEM, visual and performing arts, athletics, leadership, and recreation.
- Strong positive disciplinary skills with youth
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use PC computer software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop
- Ability to work in a high-paced environment with continual distractions
- Flexible, self-starter, willing to stay current on exemplary practices in the field of education
- Strong ability to create and follow systems and procedures
- Current Red Cross First Aid/CPR certification (within 90 days of employment)
- Ability to pass background check and fingerprint clearance
SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE PREFERRED:
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- The ability to effectively create a youth development program curriculum.
- Experience working effectively with families and students of diverse backgrounds and in diverse educational settings
- Demonstrated ability to be organized
- Ability to work independently with minor supervision
- The ability to operate a 12-passenger vehicle (Commercial B driving classification)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for at least 2 hour
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Type or Copy/Paste Requirements here