Under the direct supervision of the Site Director, the Program Leader supports the City Scholars ExCEL After School Program by providing program support to Club and school site staff. The Program Leader may transition between assignments on a monthly, weekly, or even daily basis depending on the specific needs of the San Francisco Community School site. This position works 20 hours per week, Monday - Friday from approximately 2:30 - 6:30 on most days, with flexibility to work 1:30 to 5:30 one day per week.
When working as part of the ExCEL After School Program team, this person will be running or supporting programs that engage youth grades K-8 and shall assume accountability for the results in achieving the outlined goals and objectives of those programs. The goal is to support student success for every K-8 student at San Francisco Community School through academic support, skill building, and enrichment. These services include homework assistance, literacy development, mentoring, enrichment activities, recreation, leadership development, service learning, and academic case management.
KEY ROLES (ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES):
Safety & Supervision -50%
- Ensure accurate account of all ExCEL After School Program youth.
- Work with Club staff to ensure that ExCEL/San Francisco Community School youth participate in diverse programming.
- Ensure all ExCEL youth are signed in and out daily and are accounted for.
Program Duties - 50 %
- Work directly with students Monday through Friday (3-6:30 pm) and/or Tuesdays (2-5:30 pm).
- Create a program to promote and incentivize positive member behavior/contributions as well as ways to recognize members for outstanding contributions to Club programs and culture. Provide support and implement physical and enrichment learning activities for student members.
- Implement and support all Club, ExCEL, and San Francisco Communty School policies and procedures both accurately and appropriately.
- Support Restorative Justice/Positive discipline with staff and Behavioral Health; maintain a safe and enriching learning environment: assist in and/or provide crisis intervention and follow up (including but not limited to mandated reporting policies and procedures).
- Support the Health Policy of the Club through programs such as Cavity Free Zone, Why Try, and cooking classes.
- Attend all meetings, conferences and training as required: assist with any fundraising projects conducted by the Club: promote and publicize after school program and related activities within the San Francisco Community School site, neighborhood, and nearby schools.
- Maintain a positive relationship with the San Francisco Community School principal, school site staff, and residents.
- At all times maintain a professional appearance and manner reflective of the high standards of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco.
SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- One of the following (requirements put forth by SFUSD):
- An AA degree or higher or
- Official transcripts reflecting 48 college units and a high school diploma/equivalent or
- Completion of CBEST and a high school diploma/equivalent or
- Completion of the Instructional Aide Exam
- Experience working with youth ages 6-18 years old in a youth development setting
- The ability to create strong relationships with youth in a short period of time
- An interest in a variety of youth programs including technology, art, sports, and recreation.
- Strong positive disciplinary skills with youth
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use PC computer software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop
- Ability to work in a high-paced environment with continual distractions
- Flexible, self-starter, willing to stay current on exemplary practices in the field of tutoring and education.
- Strong ability to create and follow systems and procedures
- Current Red Cross First Aid/CPR certification (within 90 days of employment)
- Ability to pass background check and fingerprint clearance.
SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE PREFERRED:
- BA/BS from an accredited college or university or equivalent youth development and office management experience
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Experience working effectively with families and students of diverse backgrounds and in diverse educational settings.
- Experience tutoring students in grades K-8
- Demonstrated research and organization skills
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to lift 15 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for at least 1 hour
- Must be able to sit at computer workstation for long time periods
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.