The Education Coordinator has general responsibility for programs that support members’ success in school and is directly responsible to the Education Director. S/he shall plan, organize, direct and control the program and maintenance of programs related to homework completion, tutoring, and academic mentoring within the policies of the organization. S/he shall assume accountability for the results in achieving the outlined goals and objectives of the Education Program. This position is part-time (25 hours per week) and located at our Willie Mays Clubhouse.
KEY ROLES (ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES)
Education Department Duties (75%)
- Plan, organize and conduct educational programs, including tutoring, PSAT and SAT preparation, homework completion, and academic mentorship programs.
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to get new youth to participate in the education program -focusing on youth who need it most
- Establish relationships with SFUSD and serve as a liaison and educational advocate for youth members at their schools
- Promote and stimulate membership in the department insuring that every Club member participates in some Learning Center activities. Build a culture where all youth understand the importance of completing high school and developing a career path that strongly encourages college enrollment.
- Ensure homework completion programs are conducted at a high level in all departments. Provide coaching, resources and support as needed.
- Ensure youth who need it most are enrolled in on-site tutoring and academic mentorship programs.
Day to Day Duties (25%)
- Track member participation and progress in academic programs.
- Support the Education Director in maintaining academic portfolios for each core member of the Vis Valley Clubhouse that includes various sources of data indicative of members’ academic progress. This includes report cards, youth surveys/interviews, work samples, reports from teachers/parents, etc.
- Attend all meetings, conferences and training as required, assist with any fundraising projects conducted by the Club and assist with all Club-wide special events
- At all times maintain a professional appearance and manner reflective of the high standards of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco
- Bachelors degree in education or related field from an accredited college or university
- Minimum one year classroom teaching or tutoring experience in traditional or non traditional setting
- Strong classroom management/discipline skills
- Strong knowledge of SFUSD programs, curriculum, and assessments
- Strong knowledge of A-G requirements and the ability to help youth navigate the college application process
- Experience in curriculum development
- Experience working with school systems including educational advocacy
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Experience working with youth in grades 1st-12th grade
- Ability to develop and implement organized educational programs and services
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organization skills
- Class B license for operation of motor vehicles in order to transport youth members (within 90 days of employment)
- Current Red Cross first aid/CPR certification (within 90 days of employment)
- Teaching credential from an accredited college or university
- Knowledge of current educational trends in after school programming
- Knowledge of current trends in evaluation and measurement
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Working knowledge of child/adolescent development theories
- Strong computer skills including Windows, Microsoft Office, database and records management
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to lift 15 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for at least 1 hour
- Must be able to sit at computer workstation for long time periods
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Type or Copy/Paste Requirements here