The Temporary Education Coordinator has general responsibility for K-8 programs that support members’ success in school and is directly responsible to the Education Director. S/he shall plan, organize, direct and control the program and maintenance of programs related to homework completion, tutoring, and academic mentoring for youth at the Tenderloin Clubhouse. S/he shall assume accountability for the results in achieving the outlined goals and objectives of the Education Department. This 6 months temporary position is part-time (25 hours per week) and goes through June. There is a chance that this position will be extended beyond the 6 months and become a regular part time position.
KEY ROLES (ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES)
Education Department Duties (75%)
- Plan, organize and conduct educational programs, including tutoring, homework completion, and academic mentorship programs
- Plan, organize and conduct cultural programs and activities, including clubs, celebrations, dance and discussion groups
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to get new youth to participate in the education program
- Promote and stimulate membership in the department insuring that Club members participates in some Learning Center activities. Build a culture where all youth understand the importance of completing high school
- Ensure homework completion programs are conducted at a high level. Provide coaching, resources and support as needed
- Ensure youth who need it most are enrolled in on-site tutoring and academic mentorship programs
Day to Day Duties (25%)
- Track member participation and progress in academic programs
- Build collaborative working relationships with parents
- Supervise and develop Teen Staff and Teen Volunteers
- Coordinate Corporate and Parent Volunteers when asked or as needed
- Support the Education Director in maintaining academic portfolios for select members of the Tenderloin Clubhouse that includes various sources of data indicative of members’ academic progress. This includes report cards, youth surveys/interviews, work samples, reports from teachers/parents, etc.
- Track and analyze program data
- Attend all meetings, conferences and training as required, assist with any fundraising projects conducted by the Club and assist with all Club-wide special events
- At all times maintain a professional appearance and manner reflective of the high standards of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong classroom management/discipline skills
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Experience working with youth in grades K-8th grade
- Ability to develop and implement organized educational programs and services
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organization skills
- Current Red Cross first aid/CPR certification (within 90 days of employment)
- Ability to speak and write in Arabic, Spanish, or a Chinese dialect.
- Bachelors degree in education or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum one year classroom teaching or tutoring experience in traditional or non traditional setting
- Strong knowledge of SFUSD programs, curriculum, and assessments
- Experience in curriculum development
- Experience working with school systems including educational advocacy
- Teaching credential from an accredited college or university
- Knowledge of current educational trends in after school programming
- Knowledge of current trends in evaluation and measurement
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Working knowledge of child/adolescent development theories
- Working knowledge of Restorative Justice principles and practices
- Strong computer skills including Windows, Microsoft Office
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to lift 15 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for at least 1 hour
- Must be able to sit at computer workstation for long time periods
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Type or Copy/Paste Requirements here