Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco (BGCSF) will be launching an on-site after-school Beacon for George Washington Carver Elementary School (Carver) for the 2018-19 academic school year. Through this partnership, BGCSF will provide a comprehensive program to approximately 145 students from Kindergarten to fifth grade that consists of a balance of academic and enrichment activities.
Carver ES is located in the vibrant Bayview-Hunters Point (BHP) neighborhood. BHP is a historically African-American neighborhood that is currently undergoing a lot of transition. Rapid development and gentrification are issues that residents face on a daily basis. Although schools in BHP have a reputation for low performance, those numbers do not capture the potential of the students that show up every day. Carver benefits from strong leadership and a staff dedicated to seeing youth succeed in school. The Beacon Director is a person who understands the challenges the students and community face and is dedicated to creating a positive environment of success.
Direct Beacon Community School
- Provide vision, strategic leadership and development of the Beacon Program to ensure quality youth development, academic and enrichment programming, family partnership services, school transition programming and behavior health and wellness coordination.
- Work with school leadership and community partners to define a shared vision of student success and facilitate alignment and integration of school-based and community-based resources.
- Support school-wide efforts to regularly screen and assess student, school and community needs and assets, and facilitate shared analysis of academic, socio-emotional and behavioral data with school stakeholders.
- Ensure program and partnership quality and consistency throughout the school, and provide meaningful opportunities for community input.
- Work alongside school-based staff and site leadership to strengthen alignment and coordination of student and family support services.
- Co-lead the community school effort with the principal, using the SFUSD Community School Framework and the Beacon Model.
- Deep knowledge of the nature of the achievement gap in San Francisco, and a goal-oriented approach to closing the gap. Ability to use data to regularly reflect upon and adjust programming.
- Develop and manage annual program budget, contracts and MOUs.
- Maintain knowledge of and ensure full compliance with DCYF, San Francisco Beacon Initiative, and ExCEL policies and procedures.
- Recruit, develop, maintain, and coordinate program partners identified to meet the diverse needs of Carver ESstudents and families.
Successful goal completion & participant outcomes
- Create program goals, objectives, outcomes and evaluation instruments before the start of each school year.
- Oversee program evaluation and the utilization of evaluation findings in program development to ensure positive outcomes.
- Participate in the development of additional funding streams through grants, collaboration, etc. to expand Beacon services and programs. Secure resources through financial and in-kind donations.
- Coordinate and oversee preparation of funder reports and evaluation documentation.
- Oversee maintenance of all program records.
Supervise staff, consultants & volunteers
- Work with Area Director, Citywide Director of Education and HR to recruit, screen, hire, train, supervise and terminate staff.
- Ensure that staff and volunteers are trained and maintain professionalism, punctuality and the safety of students at all times.
- Create and monitor annual work and professional development plans.
- Oversee the professional development needs of staff and maintain a current knowledge of the education and youth development trends.
- Develop staff learning and professional growth by providing opportunities for professional development, evolving roles, and the exploration of best practices in youth and family services.
- Engage internal staff, volunteers and program partner staff in continual learning and shared Beacon/School visioning.
- Oversee recruitment, training and supervision of volunteers and program consultants.
- Lead Beacon and school program partner meetings.
Collaborate with community partners, families, San Francisco Beacon Initiative and SFUSD
- Oversee outreach to youth, families and community partners, including creation of all relevant marketing materials.
- Meet at least monthly with Academic Liaison and School Site Council/Leadership Team to coordinate program design, discuss evaluation and explore ways to align activities with regular school day.
- Collaborate closely with community stakeholders including parents and caregivers, community-based organizations, and SFUSD.
- Communicate and collaborate with the larger BGCSF organization and promote program visibility within the Beacon and BGCSF.
- Lead Family Partnership Team, in collaboration with the school.
- Provide leadership and represent the Beacon and agency at all community events, meetings, and conferences.
Participate in the Beacon Network
- Attend all Beacon Director meetings and trainings with the San Francisco Beacon Initiative.
- Manage staff participation in Beacon Network Committees and activities.
- Manage and lead Youth Program Quality Initiative, including self-assessment, planning with data, program improvement plans and methods trainings.
Perform all ExCEL Program Manager responsibilities
- Duties include leading the Quality Action Plan process and attending all Program Manager meetings.