Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco (BGCSF) will be launching an on-site after-school Beacon for George Washington Carver Elementary School (Carver) for the 2018-19 academic school year. Through this partnership, BGCSF will provide a comprehensive program to approximately 145 students from Kindergarten to fifth grade that consists of a balance of academic and enrichment activities. The position has a full-time schedule or part-time schedule.
Carver ES is located in the vibrant Bayview-Hunters Point (BHP) neighborhood. BHP is a historically African-American neighborhood that is currently undergoing a lot of transition. Rapid development and gentrification are issues that residents face on a daily basis. Although schools in BHP have a reputation for low performance, those numbers do not capture the potential of the students that show up every day. Carver benefits from strong leadership and a staff dedicated to seeing youth succeed in school. The Beacon Director is a person who understands the challenges the students and community face and is dedicated to creating a positive environment of success.
Key Responsibilities & Primary Duties
Program Leadership & Safety
- Work directly with Carver ES students Monday – Friday for 4-6 hours daily. The Beacon program will be staffed between 8:00am – 6:00pm. There are several Program Leader positions and schedules will vary within that timeframe.
- Always maintain a safe and enriching learning environment for the students and families at Carver ES and ensure that students are always properly supervised.
- Plan and implement creative and engaging programs and activities in areas including arts, recreation, literacy and STEM.
- Ensure that students are accounted for in program data and that youth are signed into and out of programs daily.
- With the Beacon Director and staff, create program goals, objectives and outcomes.
- Operate with a youth development perspective and provide a safe environment for students to participate and learn.
- Maintain and support youth with a positive approach to behavior health that aligns with the Beacon policies and procedures and
- Assist in and/or provide crisis intervention and follow-up, including mandated reporting when necessary.
- Implement and support all BGCSF and Carver ES policies and procedures.
- Support and maintain the BGCSF Health and Nutrition policies.
- Attend all meetings, conferences and trainings as required.
Collaboration with Carver ES community
- Maintain positive communication with the Carver ES administration, teachers and staff to support youth academics and social-emotional learning.
- Build relationships with Carver families to ensure that communication about Beacon programs and activities are shared.
- At all times maintain a professional appearance and manner reflective of the nigh standards of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco.
- Be on-time and ready for work every day.
- Communicate issues and challenges with the Beacon Director and/or Assistant Director with a positive perspective and respond to emails and other communication in a timely manner.